Miscellaneous bunkers and gun emplacements
The Atlantic Wall (German: Atlantikwall) was an extensive system of coastal fortifications built by Nazi Germany between 1942 and 1944 along the western coast of Europe as a defense against an anticipated Allied invasion of the mainland continent from Great Britain.
Ten per cent of the effort and materials were concentrated in the Channel Islands, because of the propaganda value of continuing to hold British territory.
On 23 March 1942 Führer Directive Number 40 called for the official creation of the Atlantic Wall. After the St Nazaire Raid, on 13 April 1942 Adolf Hitler ordered naval and submarine bases to be heavily defended. Fortifications remained concentrated around ports until late in 1943 when defences were increased in other areas.
Organisation Todt, which had designed the Siegfried Line (Westwall) along the Franco-German border, was the chief engineering group responsible for the design and construction of the wall's major fortifications. Thousands of forced laborers were impressed to construct these permanent fortifications along the Dutch, Belgian and French coasts facing the English Channel.
Thousands of forced workers were brought to the Channel Islands to build the fortifications there and kept in appalling conditions in work camps.
- Batterie Lothringen at Noirmont, the only German naval coastal artillery battery in Jersey during the Occupation
- Wikipedia article on the Atlantic Wall
- Wikipedia article on Barrerie Lothringen
- The Atlantikwall Website