Historic Jersey buildings
A photograph of the house taken by 19th century photographer Ernest Baudoux
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Route de La Haule, St Brelade 
Type of property
1820 Georgian house which enjoys panoramic views of St Aubin's Bay
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Marett: Built by Philippe Marett, linked to him as owner on the 1849 Godfray map, and passed down through the family to the 21st century 
- Le Feuvre: The 1901 census shows the Le Feuvre dit Filliastre family in residence, presumably as tenants. John (1854- ), an ironmongery store manager, and his wife Sophia Louisa, nee Bartlett (1858- ), were living here with their son John (1883-), a gardener's apprentice, and daughters Ethelridge (1888- ), Stella (1891- ), Lydia (1892- ) and Hilda (1896- ). A separate houshold comprised John's widowed mother Ann (1836- ) and his brothers Francis (1872- ) and Frederic (1883- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A high quality example of an elegant detached Georgian house, circa 1820, which retains many fine original features characteristic of the period. Outstanding scenic value.
Built by Philippe Marett of La Haule Manor circa 1820.
Main house with stable block to rear, built into hillside with entrance to first floor rooms at rear ground level.
Old Jersey Houses
This delightful little 'romantic' house  is an early version of the modern split-level construction. Philippe Marett, of La Haule Manor, may have intended to let it, but he frequently lived there and it was La Haule Manor which was rented.
The house is constructed into the slope of the hill, so that one enters on the level of the principal bedrooms and descends to the living rooms. A central window in the facade is a dummy, with its shutters permanently closed.
The stable block behind, with a ship's bell atop the roof, is in true Georgian tradition.
The dining room lies to the east of the main block and must have been an addition to the original design, though probably added at an early stage.
Notes and references
- ↑ Described in HER as being at St Aubin, this property is actually a short distance away at La Haule. It is close to Mont au Roux, the address given in HER, but has a private drive from Route de La Haule
- ↑ Although several servants were registered as living at the property in 1941, there are no registrations for any members of the Marett family
- ↑ That rather depends on one's understanding of a little home - Ed