Monet family page
No link has been established between this Jersey family and that of the famous French impressionist painter Claude Monet
Philippe Monet married Marie Hamtonne in St Helier in 1798
If you can help with information about the Monet family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname has a strange derivation, being a shortening of the diminuitive of any french name ending '-mon', for example Simon. So little Simon became known as Simonet and somebody shortened it to Monet. There are apparently other examples, but we have not yet found one.
The name first appears in Jersey records in 1770 with the baptism of Philippe, son of Jacques and Magdeleine Dubois in St Helier. Philippe married Marie Hamptonne and they had ten children baptised in St Helier from 1799 onwards.
The French connection
Jerripedia editor Mike Bisson, whose 2x great-grandmother was Jeanne Monet, mother of John Monet Le Cras, who was for many years caretaker of Jersey Opera House, writes:
- "Any mention of the surname Monet must bring to mind the famous French impressionist painter Claude Monet (1840-1926), so are Jersey Monets related to him? The answer is that any close connection is unlikely, because the Jersey family became established in the late 18th century, at a time when the artist's grandparents were living in the east of France. They moved to Paris, where his parents were born.
- "But the Geneanet database only contains 273 Monet records, and a fair proportion of those were born in Canada, so it cannot ever have been a particularly numerous family, and there must be a good chance that there is a link between the Jersey branch and the artist's ancestors at some time.
- "Unless the correct spelling is Monnet, because there are tens of thousands of records of this name in France.
- "Try as I have, I have never been able to find any ancestors of the Jacques Monet who was the father of the first member of the family to be born in Jersey.
- "It is unlikely that any of the Monets living in Jersey today can claim to be descended from the artist, because I believe that they would all trace their ancestry through the family which was established in Jersey long before his birth."
Great War service
- Edwin Dawe Monet (1899- ) Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles, wounded
- Elias Edwin Monet MM (1896- ) (St H), Bombardier RFA (not Elias Charles as shown in Roll of Service)
These wills created by members of the Monet family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Monet - 8 September 1896, D/Y/A/55
- Charles Monet, 3 Victoria Villas, Victoria Street, St Helier - 11 March 1942, D/Y/A/109
- Mary Monet, Resthaven, St Saviours Road - 1 March 1946, D/Y/A/115
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs