Morel family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This name derives from the ancient French word meaning brown-skinned (Moorish) but the words was also used to mean a dark coloured cloth, so the surname may have indicated somebody's apparel as well as their skin.
It is a common name in Normandy and there are records of Rogerus Morel in 1198 and Jenah Morel in 1261.
Morellus is also found from 1080 as a given name and may have derived from the Gallo-Roman Maurellus and developed into Maurice and Morice.
The name is also found in Scotland as early as 1074, although the Jersey Morels almost certainly came from France.
The name features in the Assize Roll of 1309
The name first appears in St Saviour's baptism register in 1543. These individuals are known to predate the registers. Strangely for a family which has been present in the island for so long, and is still there today, there are only 83 recorded baptisms from 1543 to 1915.
- Robert Morel was born in Trinity about 1448. He had a daughter Catherine in 1460 who married Guilleaume Binet in 1479
- Another Robert Morel was botn in St Martin or Grouville about 1450
- Cattherine Morel was born in Trinity in 1474 and married Guilleaume Binet
- Henry Morel was born in Grouville about 1502 and married Michelle Amy in 1545
- Perronnelle Morel, born in Grouville about 1522, was the daughter of Jean (1500- ) and married Guillaume Bisson in October 1542.
- Catherine Morel was born in St Martin about 1529
- Morel, 1299
- Mourel 1607
- Morell 1505
- Moreaus 1331
Great War service
Sons of Jean Baptiste Morel and Marie Catherine
- Emile Henry Morel (1895-1915) Rifleman, King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action, father died same day
- Albert Paul Morel (1890- ) (St J) Driver, Canadian Artillery
- Frank A Morel (St H), Gunner, RFA
- George Emile Morel MSM (1887- ) (St H), Battery Sergeant Major RGA, wounded
- Jack Morel (1882- ) Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Morel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- François Morel - 21 June 1924, D/Y/A/84
- Louis Morel 24 May 1723 - D/Y/A/5
- Ida Morel née Malzard, La Fantaisie, Millbrook, St Lawrence - 14 May 1936, D/Y/A/99
- Thomas Morel of St Lawrence, bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence, £10 tournois of the order of the King 17 September 1814 - D/Y/A/18
- Jessie Morel, 1 Stuart Villas, St St Lawrence - 7 April 1930, D/Y/A/90
- John Morel, 2 Stuart Villas, Millbrook - 17 July 1924, D/Y/A/84
- Françoise Morel, daughter of Louise Morel of St Helier, desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £2 sterling, to Susanne, Marie Anne, Elizabeth, and Madelaine Morel, £50 each in stock of 3% annuities in England makes further bequests of stock 2 August 1783 - D/Y/A/13
- Elizabeth Morel, widow of Jean de la Perrelle - 28 December 1908, D/Y/A/67