Morin family page
This family dates back to the 13th century in Jersey
The Rev Morin photographed by Ernest Baudoux
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
Although the surname Morin is quite distinct from that of Morel, it appears that they may have a similar derivation, from the ancient French for dark-skinned or wearing dark clothing. It was probably used first as a given name Morin or Maurin.
The name Morin is common in Normandy. There is a record of a Gaukelius Morin in 1257 and Nicholaus Morin in 1267.
The first record of the name in England is that of Robert Morin, dated about 1140, in the Documents relating to the Danelaw for the city of London, during the reign of King Stephen.
Although the family appears in baptism records from 1597, it seems to have died out in the early 17th century. The name was reintroduced to England, and possibly also the Channel Islands, by Huguenot refugees in the 17th century. The following names predate the baptism registers.
- Perrez Morin was born in St Saviour about 1410
- Nicholas Morin was born in Jersey in about 1420
- Helen Morin was born in about 1425, the daughter of Nicolas Morin, of Le Muorin, St Saviour (1405- ) and Perronelle Le Febvre. Helen married Johan Poingdestre (1411- ) and they had two sons, John and Damian. Helen died in January 1477 and was buried in the parish of her birth.
- Jeanette Morin was born in Jersey about 1483 and married Guille Le Roux in 1503
- Ralph Morin was born in St Helier about 1514 and married Catherine La Cloche there in 1540.
Strangely for a family which has been present in Jersey for such a long time, and still is today, there are only 23 baptisms on record from 1597 to 1915.
There is a record, possibly not accurate, of a Guillaume Morin born in Guernsey in 1330. The name was common in Castel in the 17th century
- Morin, 1236
- Mourin, 1489
- Moryn 1528
- Mouryn, 1470
- Morrin 1461-78
- Nicolas Morin, Bailiff of Jersey 1459-1468
Great War service
- Albert Edwin Morin (1873- ) son of Louis and Mary, ex-RMIJ, Private RFC, RAF
- Alfred Francis Amice Morin (1898- ) (St H) son of Frank and Emily Mellish, Private, Cameron Highlanders
- Charles Morin (St B), Corporal, Canada
- Francis Morin (St H), Private, Worcestershire Regiment
- Francis Philip Morin (St P), Driver RFA
- Harold Francis Morin (1897- ) (St H) son of Frank and Emily Mellish, Corporal RAOC
These wills created by members of the Morin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Pierre Morin - 19 January 1934, D/Y/A/95
- Rose Morin - 7 May 1921, D/Y/A/81
- François Morin, Pied du Côtil, Bellozanne, St Helier - 23 August 1940, D/Y/A/107
- Rose Morin, Vingtaine des Augres, Trinity, widow - 12 April 1926, D/Y/A/86
Ethel Morin photographed by Ernest Baudoux
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs