Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Moulin de Bas
Rue des Brulees, Trinity
Type of property
Water mill in private ownership; original building much extended in 20-21st centuries
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Breton: Jersey Heritage holds a list of the articles found in the Moulin de Bas on the day that Benjamin Le Breton gave up possession of the mill in 1802
There were still Le Breton families here in 1901 - two apparently unrelated families out of a total of four households recorded in the census. Mary Elizabeth Le Breton, nee Hocquard, widow of Philip Charles (1836-1899), was living with her two youngest sons, Adolphus Charles (1873-1905) and Everard John (1877-1947), both plasterers.
Elise Esther Le Breton, nee Dolbel, wife of stonemason Charles John Le Breton (1856-1933) was living with her children Ernest (1893- ), Adolphus (1894- ), Lydia (1885- ), Lucie (1889- ) and Mabel (1895- ) Elise is shown as married and the head of the household. There is no mention of her husband, nor of their eldest son Charles William (1886-1930) who emigrated to the USA the following year.
- Queree: Also shown in the 1901 census were farmer Francois Queree (1852- ), born in France, and his wife Elizabeth, nee Le Couillard (1852- ) were living here with their sons Alfred (1886- ), Philip (1890- ) and Walter (1893- ) and daughters Elize (1887- ), Clara (1888- ) and Laura (1892- )
- Rabasse: The final household in the 1901 census was made up of quarryman Alfred Philippe Rabasse (1870- ), his wife Matilda Jane, nee Le Breton (1868- ) who worked from home as a dressmaker, with an employee, and their daughter Elsie (1900- )
- Cadiou: In 1941 Peter Cadiou (1865- ) and his son Francis Edward (1913- ) were living here
- Robert: Also at the mill in 1941 were Peter Robert (1908- ) and his daughters Irene (1933- ) and Marguerite (1936- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A rare survival of a Jersey water mill, possibly of 17th century origins, retaining a wheel and much of its historic character.  Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Former water mill with integral house, much extended. Original building is two-storey, five-bay. Pitched pantile roof with dressed granite chimney with thatch dripstones at south end, and stone copings and moulded kneelers on north gable.
Large iron and timber undershot water wheel attached to north gable of building (taken from Gargate Mill). OJH highlights how unusual the mill pond's construction and position is. It is oval in plan and lined with granite.
Old Jersey Houses
HER quotes a reference to the unusual shape and position of the mill pond in Vol Two but we have been unable to find it. The property is not featured, despite its age.
Notes and references
- ↑ It is remarkable given the age and historical importance of this property how little information is given in the HER entry
Jersey Evening Post photographs
A set of photographs taken by staff photographer Reg Cridland for a feature in the newspaper in 1979. The names of the owners included in two of the photographs have not yet been determined