There was a YMCA hostel at 16 New Street, occupying premises owned by A de Gruchy and Co. The YMCA first came to Jersey in 1858 and moved to the New Street premises in 1909. In 1963 the organisation was given six months notice to quit the premises because the company had earmarked the area for expansion. That expansion never took place and eventually the building was given to the National Trust for Jersey, who undertook a complete renovation in the 21st century. This picture was taken in 1957.
New Street businesses
Photographer Ernest Baudoux and son at No 59