Nicholson family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
This is an English surname which has been present in Jersey since the late 17th century, and possibly earlier. It means 'son of Nicholas', which is ultimately a biblical name. Introduced into Europe by returning Crusader knights from the Holy Land in the 12th century, it derives from the ancient Greek name "Nikolaos", which translates as "victory-people".
It appears that two Nicholson families, possibly with no connection, became established in Jersey around the turn of the 17th century.
These wills created by members of the Nicholson family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Thomas Nicholson - 19 December 1885, D/Y/A/45
- Thomas Nicholson late Lieut-Colonel in the 55th Regiment, bequeaths to Sarah Meadows Nicholson and Edward Thorpe 200 shares in the North of Scotland Banking Company To Martha Hunter Nicholson and John Charles Horne all his shares in the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company To William H Abbott all his shares in the Dundee and Arbroath Railway Co - 31 August 1864, D/Y/A/32
- Robert Nicholson of 5 Stopford Terrace, Bath Street, St Helier 26 February 1851 - D/Y/A/27
- Joesph Nicholson, Captain and Paymaster on half pay of H M's 75th Regiment, bequeaths to Anne Charlotte Nicholson, shares in the Provincial Bank of Ireland 20 August 1857 - D/Y/A/29
- Emily Nicholson, Marigold Cottage, Route des Genêts, St Brelade - 1 December 1945, D/Y/A/114
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
- La Chaumiere, St Lawrence