Nicolle family page
This is a surname of very long standing in Jersey, with records going back to the 14th century
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name is derived from the baptismal name Nicolas. The family has been established in Jersey and Guernsey for many centuries.
This is a large Jersey family of long standing, one branch of which has been in Jersey since the 13th century or earlier. A distinct family arrived from England in the 15th century. John Nichol was Master Warder of Mont Orgueil and Bailiff in 1494. His descendants adopted the local spelling.
The Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550 contains 11 Nicolles.
- Guillotine Nicolle was born in Jersey in 1410
- In 1331 Colin held land in Saint Martin and Saint Mary and Thomas held land in Saint Brelade;
This family has no connection with the ancient Seigneurs of Longueville, of the same name, but appears to have existed in the island from the period of the disjunction of the Channel Islands from the Duchy of Normandy.
In 1331, Colin Nicolle held two bourees of land in the Parish of Saint Martin, and one in that of Saint Mary, while Thomas Nicolle held a bouree in Saint Brelade, as appears by the Extente of that year.
The name is found, too, at a remote period in Guernsey, one of the earliest Bailiffs of that island being of this family. Hence springs the branch of Nicol of Penrose, county Cornwall, as appears by Lysons, and also by a pedigree of the Cornish section exemplified in the Harleian MSS., No. 1051.
The original branch of this house, so long settled in its ancestral Parish of Saint Martin, and co-representing most of the influential families of the island, is there represented by Edwin Henry Nicolle, eldest surviving son of the late Frederick Nicolle, surgeon; a younger branch, descended from a member of the parent stock, who settled in Grouville, and whose descendants were subsequently located for several generations in the Parish of Saint John, is represented by Lieutenant-Colonel Edward Nicolle, of Midvale, Saint Helier.
- Nicolle, 1331
- Nichole, 1402
- Nycolle de La Cornee 1477
- Nicole 1309
- Descendants of Drouet Nicolle (1415-1468)
- Descendants of Guillaume Nicolle (1560)
- Descendants of Denis Nicolle (1649)
- Descendants of Edouard Nicolle and Elizabeth Baudains
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle (1518- )
- Descendants of Cott Nicolle - inaccurate generations removed and replaced in next tree
- Descendants of George Nicolle Added 2016
- Descendants of Josue Nicolle
- Descendants of Mathieu Nicolle
- Descendants of Edouard Nicolle and Jeanne Neel
- Descendants of Edouard Nicolle and Jeanne Neel - 2 A second version of this tree from a Canadian source
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle and Marie Aubin
- Descendants of Mathieu Nicolle - 2
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle and Francoise Machon
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle and Marie Bisson
- Descendants of Edmond Nicolle
- Descendants of Philippe Nicolle and Marie Horman
- Descendants of John Nichol, the separate family mentioned above, which arrived in the 15th century NEW
- Descendants of Philippe Nicolle NEW
- Descendants of Pierre Nicolle NEW
- Jean Nicolle, Bailiff of Jersey
- Hostes Nicolle, Bailiff of Jersey 1561-1564
- Jean Nicolle, Jersey Viscount
- Edmund Toulmin Nicolle
- John Whitley Nicolle, died in German camp
- Laura Nicolle, nee Beatty, and her sister Anna
Nicolle lineages in Guernsey
Great War service
Emigrant to Canada
As borne by the late Frederick Nicolle) : Azure, three crescents, or.
Quartering : Or, in the dexter chief a round shield, azure, charged with a knight on horseback, spear in rest, in full career, all argent, for Bandinel
Gules, three escallops in bend, argent; on a chief of the second, a martlet, sable, for Stallenge
Azure, a bend, argent, between two pelicans' heads, erased, or for Horman
Azure, three crescents, or, a mullet for difference, for Nicolle
Gules, three buckles, or, in chief, a crescent, argent, charged mth a label of three points, for difference, for Mallet
Gules, a fesse, dancette, or, in chief, two roses, argent, for Cornet
Gules, three escallops, or, a fleur-de-lis for difference, for Dumaresq
Sable, three dolphins, embowed, argent, for De Bagot
Argent, three trefoils, slipped, sable, for Payn
Gules, four fusils, conjoined in fesse, a crescent in base, for difference, for De Carteret
Ermines, a cross-bow, in pale, drawn and charged with an arrow, all argent, for Larbalestier
Or, three cherries, gules, stalked, vert, for Messervy
Or, on a chevron, vert, three hawks' heads, erased, of the field, for Crafford
Azure, a chevron between three eagles, argent; a chief, gules, fretty of the second, for Gaudin
Argent, a double-headed eagle, displayed, wings inverted, sable, armed, gules, a mullet for difference, for Collas
Impaling : Argent, a beehive, surrounded with bees, all ppr, for Beatty.
Crest : A falcon, belled, rising, ppr.
Motto: Essorant victorieux
- Nicolle and Company in Newfoundland
- Jersey merchants at Burgeo, Another article concerning Nicolle and Company
- John Nicolle was a hatter at 12 King Street in the 1830s and '40s
- Charles Nicolle was a grocer at 44 King Street in the 1830s
- Francis Nicolle was a draper at 54 King Street in the 1850s
- Philip Nicolle and his son Philip were drapers at 5 Halkett Place in the 1840s and '50s
- Josephine Nicolle was in business as a milliner at 10 Halkett Place in the 1880s
- Draper Philippe Nicolle was in business at 11 Halkett Place in the 1860s
- Jeanne Nicolle ran a millinery business at 40 Halkett Place in the 1840s, together with her two daughters and a staff of 12
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Reginald Sidney Nicolle (24) of St Lawrence was convicted of robbery by the Royal Court in 1913 and sentenced to 12 months prison with hard labour
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs