No 10 King Street

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


W16StreetLamp.png


10 King Street


KingStreetFB.jpg


King Street in 1903 showing Nos 6 to 16 behind blinds on the right


Like No 8 King Street next door, No 10 was a drapery, became part of Noel and Porter and was eventually demolished and rebuilt to create British Home Stores.

Saunders

In 1841 the premises were occupied by draper Thomas Saunders (30) who lived there with his wife Priscilla (30) and sons Henry (8) and James (6). Also listed at No 10 in the 1841 census was shoe manufacturer John William Hunt (20), his wife Amelia, nee Fauchon (20) and daughters Amelie (3) and Maria (2). Although John and Amelia are shown in the census as aged 20, it was the practice in 1841 to round adults' ages up or down to the nearest multiple of five, so they could have been aged up to 22 or 23, which would fit in better with the ages of their children. Further research has revealed this to be the case. John was John William Hunt, born in Sligo in 1818, and Amelia was actually a year older than him, born in Jersey.

John and Amelia would go on to have 11 children by 1859

British Home Stores on the right occupies Nos 8 to 16. It replaced Noel and Porter in the mid-1960s before the street was pedestrianised

Auctioneer

The Saunders were not at No 10 very long because an 1850 advertisement shows J Sinel, auctioneers and estate agents, in business there, and the 1851 census shows Edwin G Gill running an auction business there. The census shows the permises occupied by Edwin Gill (1820- ) from England, wife Elizabeth (1818- ) from Pembroke, prosaically described in the census as a 'shop woman', and son Edwin (1847- ), mother Mary Gill (1793- ) and brother George Gill (1831- ).

There are four other households listed at the premises in the 1851 census: James Hope, gardener, and wife Hannah; labourer Michael Neville, his wife and daughter; laundress Elizabeth Much and her two daughters; and Royal Artillery Gunner Robert McCourt and his dressmaker wife Martha.

An advertisement in the Jersey Independent in 1860 shows Mrs Jane Le Feuvre having acquired the drapery business of Mrs Beard and moved from 54 King Street to No 10.

by the time of the 1861 census, Matthew de Gruchy has his draper’s business there. He was living with wife Ann Jane (nee Bree), son Walter and daughters Edith Ann and Alice Maud. Matthew, baptised Matthieu, was the son of Jean de Gruchy and Esther Mauger.

He started out as a journeyman tailor living at Duhamel Place, St Helier, in 1851 and was at 10 King Street until 1880, when he became insolvent. The 1871 census shows four other domestic households at No 10.

Chronology

  • 1841 - Thomas Saunders, draper; John Hunt, shoe manufacturer
  • 1850 - J Sinel, auctioneer
  • 1851 - Edwin G Gill, auctioneer
  • 1859 - Mrs Beard
  • 1860 - Jane Le Feuvre, drapery
  • 1861 - Matthew de Gruchy, draper
  • 1871 - 1880 - Matthew de Gruchy, draper; large number of other resident families
  • 1880-1965 - Noel and Porter
  • 1970-to date - British Home Stores

Business advertisements

Views
Personal tools
Navigation
Toolbox
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs