14 King Street
Noel and Porter, the drapery which grew into a department store, acquired No 14 King Street as it expanded at the very end of the 19th century, adding the property to Nos 8, 10 and 12, which the business occupied from the outset in 1880.
Wines and spirits
The first businesses to trade from the address were grocery and wine and spirit merchants. Richard du Parcq (1788-1873) is shown in a 1834 trade directory as a grocer also selling wines and spirits, and he was followed by his son John (1819- ). By 1861 the business was being run by John's brother Clement (1823-1893), who had added chocolate manufacturing to the wines and spirits side of the business.
John du Parcq was running his grocer’s shop in 1851, assisted by his wife Peggy Jane (nee Guiton) . They had a three-year-old daughter Alice, whose elder sister Esther appears to have died in infancy.
In 1861 another du Parcq family are in residence. This is John’s brother Clement, a chocolate manufacturer, wine and spirit merchant and grocer. Clement was living with his wife Mary Pixley, whose father came to Jersey from Gibraltar, and daughters Mary, Esther, Helen and Clementina and sons Richard and Clement Pixley du Parcq. Clement Pixley du Parcq was the father of Herbert du Parcq, who was a distinguished lawyer and judge in London and became Baron du Parcq.
A drapery business had been operating at No 14 from about the time Noel and Porter was established, run first by C J and W Bisson, and then by F J Le Riche, after the Bissons moved to No 6 King Street.
- 1834 - 1851 - Richard du Parcq, grocer, wines and spirits
- 1851 - John du Parcq, grocer, wine and spirit merchant
- 1861 - Clement du Parcq, chocolate manufacturer, wine and spirit dealer
- 1871 - Not listed in census
- 1880 - C J and W Bisson, draper and tailor
- 1885 - F J Le Riche, draper and tailor
- 1890- Not listed
- 1900-1965 Noel and Porter
- 1970 to date - British Home Stores