19 King Street
The first known trader at No 19 King Street was draper M Barbet, in 1834. This may have been Marie Barbet, the illegitimate daughter of another Marie Barbet, or possibly the mother.
The premises would be home to drapers, tailors or men's outfitters for over a century.
The next known occupants in 1841 and 1851 were linen and woollen drapers Thomas Le Riche (1803- ) and Margaret, nee Le Masurier (1802- ), son John, still a scholar at 17, Thomas’ parents Philippe and Jeanne, nee Le Masurier, his brother Francis John, a housemaid and a cook.
By 1861 the Le Riches had left and linen and woollen draper James Remon and his wife Jane were the occupants.
Philip Le Sueur was trading as a draper and tailor in 1880. By 1885 the premises were back in the hands of James Remon, perhaps the son of the founder, because he remained in business there until 1930.
The Remons are not shown living at No 19 after 1861. The 1891 census lists Maria Anthoine, a dressmaker, probably living above the Remon shop.
Just before the Occupation The Man's Shop opened at No 19, to be followed in 1945 by Clarence de la Mare's outfitters.
In 1945 the business had changed to photography, with Sam Senett and Richard Whinnerah in partnership. By 1955 Mr Whinnerah was in business on his own, and five years later he moved to No 17 King Street next door, allowing No 19 to be taken over by Manfield shoes, which was followed after over 30 years by Dolcis shoes.
- 1834 - M Barbet, draper
- 1841-1851 - Thomas Le Riche, woollen and linen draper
- 1861 - James Remon linen and woollen draper
- 1871 - Not listed in census
- 1874 - P Le Sueur, draper and tailor (including No 21)
- 1885-1930 - James Remon tailor
- 1891 - Maria Anthoine, dressmaker
- 1940 - The Man's Shop
- 1945 - Clarence de la Mare's outfitters
- 1949 - Senett and Whinnerah, photographic dealers
- 1955 - Richard Whinnerah, photographic dealier
- 1960-1990 - Manfield shoes
- 2000 - Dolcis shoes
- 2010 - Vacant
- 2012 - Holland and Barrett