Historic Environment Record: This Victorian building contributes to the streetscape character, with its scale and decorative features. Three-storey, three-bay. South, elevation: Roof unseen. Walls rendered. Moulded architraves on second floor, moulded arched architraves on first floor.
No 22 has had a variety of occupants, first chemists, then a jeweller, than a toy warehouse, but since 1890 it has been home to a succession of shoe retailers. The most notable were Tyler and Sons, who occupied the shop from 1900 to 1970.
An 1837 commercial directory also shows a silversmith named Goupillo at No 22. This was probably one of the Le Goupillots shown in our Silver pages as working in St Helier.
Jeweller Mary Payn
In 1851 No 22 was occupied by jeweller Mary Payn, a 73-year-old widow, with five children, Alphonse, Mary, Armand, Alfred and Angeline, ranging in age from 9 to 19 – remarkable for a woman of that age. Church records indicate that these are the children of John Payn and Marie Francoise, nee Dufresne, although the census returns are not a complete match for the St Helier baptism register.
By 1861 fancy goods dealer Henry Cobb (42), from England, and his Irish wife Catherine have moved into No 22 with their children Mary Ann, Henry, John and James, who were born in St Helier but are not shown in the parish baptism register.
A second household was headed by dressmaker Margaret Thornton, also from Ireland.
The premises were occupied as a toy shop for a long period in the second half of the 19th century by William Henry Cobb. He came to Jersey from England and married Catherine Dyer, an Irish lady. In 1851 they were in business as hardware dealers in Philip Street, but ten years later they had made the big leap to King Street, where they were to remain until the 1880s. William and Catherine lived 'above the shop' where they brought up their children Mary Ann, Henry, John, James and Catherine.
By 1890 the premises had been taken over by Mrs Ellen Le Ruez, the first of the boot and shoe retailers to occupy No 22. She had started in business with her younger, unmarried sister Isabella Netten, at 18 Broad Street, where she was trading at the age of 30 in 1881, although her age was given as 28 for the census. She then moved to No 33 King Street where she was still trading 20 years later.
Ellen and Isabella were two of eight daughters of William Henry Netten and Emma Geech. William and Emma came to Jersey from England, and he was in business in 1851 as an outfitter at 1 Don Street. Ten years later he was at No 7 King Street, trading as a merchant.
Their first daughter Mary was born in 1847, followed by Maria in 1849, Ellen in 1851 (no trace has been found of her baptism), and Matilda (1853), Elizabeth Fanny (1857), Jane (1858), Alice (1860) and Isabella Rosanne in 1862. By 1881, with only Matilda, Elizabeth and Alice living at home, William and Emma were at No 59 King Street, where he was trading as a hatter and clothier. It has not been possible to find the family at the time of the 1871 census.
Clearly at some point Ellen Netten married a Mr Le Ruez, but no record of this marriage, nor what happened to him to leave her in business on her own in 1890, has been found.
- 1834 - Martin, chemist
- 1837 - Goupillo, silversmith
- 1841 - John King, chemist
- 1851 - Mary Payn, jeweller
- 1861 - Henry Cobb - fancy goods dealer
- 1871-1885 - William Henry Cobb, general merchant, toy warehouse
- 1889 - Mrs Ellen Le Ruez, boot and shoe warehouse
- 1896-1970 - Tyler and Sons, bootmakers
- 1990 - John Farmer
- 2000 - Clarks Shoes
Notes and references
- ↑ Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates can be adjusted