27 King Street
The first record we have for No 27 is the 1841 census return, which shows the property occupied by milliner Esther Le Brun (1815- ). She was the daughter of Philippe Le Brun (1791-1881) and Esther Amy (1787- ) of Grouville.
In 1851 No 27 was occupied by hairdresser John Peagam (24) and his Jersey-born wife Mary Cole, also 24, who lived with John’s father John. The two Johns came to Jersey from Devon, and the father may have only been visiting his family because he is not shown in Jersey in the 1861 census and he died back in Devon in 1879.
John and Mary would soon start a family: Marie Louise was born in 1854 and Sydney Herbert two years later. But Mary died in 1856 and by 1858 John was married to Eliza Andrews, with whom he would have five more children between 1858 and 1866. He was still living at No 27 and in business as a hairdresser and perfumer at the time of the 1861 census, which shows him as employing one boy and one assistant.
By 1871 John, still only 44, was a widower again and was bringing up his family and running his hairdressing business a short distance away at 7 Queen Street.
No occupant is shown for No 27 in that year's census. By 1880 the premises were home to Colley and Remon's drapery business, which also occupied No 25. It is not clear what connection, if any, this business had with James Remon's drapery at No 19.
At the start of the 20th century sisters Sarah (1835- ), Miriam (1844- ) and Caroline Payn (1839- ) were trading as stationers at No 27. Their business then became Payn's Library and by 1912 it was known as Payn's Library and tearooms. The sisters were three of six children of Philip Payn (1802- ) and Sarah Woodman (1806- ).
There was another change by 1919, when the Household Bazaar was established, and that was to occupy the property until 1960. It was taken over in 1965 by photographer Richard Whinnerah, who had started his business at No 19 in 1955, then moved to No 17 in 1960.
After Mr Whinnerah's retirement the business was acquired by Jack Bearder, who traded from 1970 to 1980, and was followed by the Camera Centre. The property was then acquired by perfumers Au Caprice, who are still there today.
- 1837, 1841 - Esther Le Brun, milliner
- 1851 - John Peagam
- 1861 - John Peagam (34) hair cutter and perfumer
- 1871 - Vacant
- 1880-1885 - Colley and Remon, draper
- 1890 - Colley and Co tailor and draper
- 1900-1903 - Misses Sarah, Miriam and Caroline Payn, stationers
- 1912 - Payn's Library and tearooms
- 1919-1960 - Household Bazaar
- 1965 - 1970 Richard Whinnerah, photography
- 1970-1980 - Jack Bearder, photography
- 1990 - The Camera Centre
- 2000 to date - Au Caprice, perfumer