8 King Street
This property now forms the north-east corner of King Street and New Street, but at some time after 1851 the corner property, which was formerly No 38, disappeared, apparently as the result of road widening when the structure now known only as No 36, was rebuilt.
When the property became a wine and spirits merchant after World War Two it was almost reverting to its use in the late 1800s, when widow Arabella Whetton and her daughters Jessie and Arabelle, three Scottish ladies, ran a public house there.
J F Belford ran a tobacconist here from 1912 to 1940, although almanac advertisements from the 19th century suggest that he was already in business there earlier. At the same time he was also in business at 35 Halkett Place.
From the mid-1850s to 1873 the imposing corner property was occupied by the Mercantile Union Bank. Following the bank's collapse in 1873, the property became a public house, run by Arabella and Jessie Whetton.
The next occupant, in 1903, was bootmaker Charles Bray, and from 1912 to the Occupation tobacconist James Francis Belford, followed by James Mauger Belford, was in business there. After the war wines and spirits Merchant C Le Masurier acquired the property and turned it into their principal town outlet.
In 2010 the property, which was owned by the Colley family until 1948, was sold by C Le Masurier Ltd to Modestine Holdings Ltd for £2.125 million.
- 1841 - Mary Ann Coutanche, independent means
- 1851 - Several families living at No 36 but no obvious business
- 1861-73 - Mercantile Union Bank
- 1880, 1881, 1885 - Arabella and Jessie Whetton, publicans
- 1896 - Osborne and Company
- 1903 - Charles Bray, bootmaker
- 1912-1940 - James Francis Belford, tobacconist (later James Mauger Belford)
- 1949-1970 - C Le Masurier Ltd
- 1980 - Wine Lodge
- 1990 - Banks Restaurant
- 2000 - Crabtree and Evelyn