53 King Street
This property has been home to a variety of businesses, but since 1940 it has been merged with No 51 next door by shoe manufacturers and dealers Beghin's.
The first recorded occupant, in an 1833 trade directory, was glass and china dealer Philip Ahier.
The 1841 census does not identify this property separately so the next recorded occupant was Collas Jouault, who came to Jersey from Granville with his wife Berenice and daughter Claire. Berenice died in 1854 and Collas was at No 51 with his daughter.
The 1871 census shows the premises unoccupied. By 1874 chemist Henry Miller had taken over, and he would remain there until at least 1890, although there is no return for the premises in the 1881 census, nor in 1891 and 1901.
Mr Miller was followed by another chemist, E T Adams, who occupied no 53 from 1900 to at least 1919, followed in the 1930s by Piquets
- 1833 - Philip Ahier, Glass and china dealer
- 1851 - Collas Jouault, shoe, glass and tea merchant
- 1861 - John Andrews, trunk maker
- 1871 - Unoccupied at the time of the census
- 1874-1890 - H Miller, chemist
- 1900-1919 - E T Adams, chemist
- 1920 - F Jackson
- 1930 - Piquets
- 1940 - Beghin's closed in 2019