Osborne family page
Archibald Reginald Osborne was born in Jersey in 1868, the son of Edward (1825- ) and Susan Ann Eliza, nee Symes (1827-1906). The family emigrated to Foxton, New Zealand where Archibald and his brother Edmund were tailors. Archibald married Esther Withers in 1904.
This report appeared in a local newspaper:"Tailor and Mercer, Main Street Foxton. This business was established in the year 1892, and is conducted in a fine shop, which carries a large stock of imported and colonial materials. Mr Osborne is well known for his reliable workmanship, and gives constant employment to several persons. He was born in Jersey, Channel Islands, in August 1867, and was educated and brought up to clerical work. In 1882 he came to New Zealand and settled in Foxton, where for ten years he was employed by his brother, a draper and clothier, latterly as manager of the clothing department. Mr Osborne has been connected with the local Primitive Methodist Church since 1883, is a trustee of the lodge of Oddfellows, and has also been a member of the Orders of Druids and Good Templars. He is married, and has two daughters."
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a medieval English surname of Viking origins. It is derived from the Norse personal name Asbiorn, composed of the elements As= 'god' and Bjorn = 'the bear. The Vikings were keen on names which indicated strength and conquest. The name was also recorded in Normandy, but the family in one of the trees below originated neither in England, nor Normandy, but were of German descent. Their surname started life as Asbrandt, and was anglicised when they moved to England.
The name first appeared in Jersey records in the mid-17th century and families were established in St Martin and Grouville. They appear to have died out, and new lines were established in the 19th century. One of these started with soldier William Osborne, who married Mary Hubert in St Helier in 1806.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Edward Charles Massey Osborne (1891- ) (St H) son of William and Louisa Massey, Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Mabel Court Osborne, British Red Cross (probably married name)
- Edward Osborne-Smith DSO (Canada), married Christine Caroline Le Couteur 1897, son born in Jersey, Lt-Col Northamptonshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Osborne family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Osborn : Albert Simon Joseph , of Carlton House, Bagot, St Saviour - 04/Mar/1947 , 28/May/1958 , D/Y/B1/48/39
- Osborn : Nellie Louisa Bradshaw or , also known as Nelly L Shepherd, widow of Harold George Candle-Walker, of 44, Don Street, St Helier - 12/Sep/1968 , 16/Feb/1972 , D/Y/B1/170/52
- Osborn : Thomas , of 1, Melrose Place, St Helier, - 24/Feb/1865 , 20/Nov/1865 , D/Y/A/32/133
- Osborne : Alfred Walter , Hardoi, Oudh, India - 12/Mar/1901 , 09/Mar/1918 , D/Y/A/77/91
- Osborne : Amy , widow of Kenneth Edward McKenzie, of Langford, Mont Millais, St Helier - 07/Dec/1961 , 19/Aug/1975 , D/Y/B1/227/13
- Osborne : Ann , 36 Roseville Street, St Helier, widow Kelling - 24/Mar/1925 , 03/May/1926 , D/Y/A/86/64
- Osborne : Blanche Eugenie , formerly of 37, Clausentum Road, Southampton and now of 37, Ann Street, St Helier - 23/Mar/1948 , 10/Aug/1951 , D/Y/B1/11/10
- Osborne : Bruce William , of 74, Howard Road, Queens Park, Bournemouth - 24/Mar/1959 , 06/Jan/1961 , D/Y/B1/62/29
- Osborne : Ethel Maud , of Flat 2, Rockwood, Mont Cochon, St Helier - 15/Jan/1963 , 29/Jan/1965 , D/Y/B1/83/50
- Osborne : Frances D'Arcy Godolphin , Twelfth Duke of Leeds, of 66, Via Guilia, Rome, Italy - 02/Oct/1962 , 09/Aug/1965 , D/Y/B1/89/1
- Osborne : Francis Paget , of Hamptonne, St Clement and formerly of St Brelade - 10/Nov/1959 , 28/Sep/1971 , D/Y/B1/164/51
- Osborne : Henry George , of 2, Colomberie Close, St Helier - 11/Nov/1960 , 19/Dec/1963 , D/Y/B1/77/19
- Osborne : Irene Augustine Eulalie , nee Van-Humbeeck, 14 The Terrace, Grosvenor Street, St Helier, widow 7/02/1947 Desires to be cremated - Unknown date , 30/Apr/1947 , D/Y/A/117/116
- Osborne : Jean/John , ... - 13/Oct/1680 , 25/Oct/1680 , D/Y/A/1/24
- Osborne : John , of High Scalesceugh, Carleton, Carlisle, Cumbria - 31/Jul/1979 , 31/Jul/1979 , D/Y/B1/304/27
- Osborne : John Charles , of 55, Elizabeth Avenue, St Brelade - 11/Aug/1971 , 29/Aug/1973 , D/Y/B1/194/23
- Osborne : Rosaline Kate , Clifton, St Aubins Road, St Helier 30/07/1936 Desires to be buried in the grave which she owns in the cemetery at St Saviours 1 booklet, 1 paper; seal - Unknown date , 05/Sep/1945 , D/Y/A/114/60
- Osborne : the most noble John Francis Godolphin , Eleventh Duke of Leeds, of Melbourne House, St John - 26/Jul/1961 , 13/Sep/1966 , D/Y/B1/100/34
- Osborne-Smith : Robert Edward , of Bulwark House, St Aubin, St Brelade - 02/Jul/1948 , 21/Dec/1972 , D/Y/B1/184/20