Ouless family page
This Jersey family included three notable artists
Walter Ouless in the 1880s
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Ouless was the spelling adopted by the family in Jersey, changed from Oulez, which is a rare variant of Oules, a name from the Tarn department, where there is a hamlet of this name at Castelnau-de-Brassac.
Philippe Joseph Oulez arrived in Jersey from Guernsey, where he married Elizabeth Noel, daughter of Jean Noel of St Saviour, Jersey, on 7 January 1787.
Prominent family members
- Philip Ouless, Marine painter
- Walter Ouless, artist, Philip's son
- Clarence Philip Ouless photographer, Philip's son
These wills created by members of the Ouless family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Philippe Ouless of St Helier, desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £12 of old French currency 31 May 1831 - D/Y/A/22
- Clarence Ouless, 46 New Street, St Helier, bequeaths to Leonore Jane Starck for life 46 New Street and 53 New Street, St Helier Reversion of 53 New Street to Clarence Charles Ouless reversion of 46 New Street to Pauline Jeanne Ouless - 24 January 1927, D/Y/A/87
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs