Ozanne family page
Jeanne Ozanne married Jean Remy in St Helier in 1815
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of surname
The surname Ozanne is found in Normandy and the Channel Islands. In France, it is also found spelt Auzanne or Auzanneau. It is the French translation of Hosanna, that the crowd called when Jesus entered Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. In the Middle Ages it was given as a Christian name to girls who were born on Palm Sunday. Ozanne's son would be called Jean, fils d'Ozanne, and then Jean Ozanne ; later his children would regard Ozanne as their family name.
It can be traced back in Guernsey to the Roll of Assizes in 1309 when Richard Ozanne was found guilty of encroaching on the King's highway.
According to an old Ozanne pedigree "the family of Ozanne is one of the most ancient and respectable of Guernsey, and the name can be traced to the reign of King Edward III (1327-1376), at which period 'Sire Denys Ozanne, Pretre' occurs".
Ozanne and Ozenne are both quite common in Normandy today and can be traced back to the early 13th century
- Osan (1279 Hundred Rolls of Berkshire)
- Descendants of Nicolas Ozanne, Jersey tree NEW
- Descendents of James Ozanne (d1681) of Castel, Guernsey
- Descendents of Pierre Ozanne b. c1540 Les Landes, Catel
These wills created by members of the Ozanne family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Henry Ozanne of St Mary, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £32 of the order of the King 3 June 1826 - D/Y/A/20
- Rachel Ozanne of St Lawrence, bequeaths to the poor of St Mary , 1s to be distributed the Christmas after her decease 10 March 1856 - D/Y/A/28
- Sir Edward Chepmell Ozanne (1852-1929), Bailiff of Guernsey 1915-1922
- Lawrence Oscar Ozanne (1926-2005), Jurat, Architect and Equestrian
- Colonel Guy Durand Ozanne (1889-1944), founder member of the Guernsey Society
- Marjorie Ozanne, Guernesiais poet and founder of Bird Hospital
- ↑ Kilshaw, William, Old Mills of Guernsey, RGS, 1952
- ↑ http://www.guernseybar.com/newsdetails.asp?collectionitemid=507
- ↑ Brock, H Le M, Twenty-one Years Ago, RGS, 1964
- ↑ Ozanne, Marjorie, My Bird Hospital in Guernsey, RGS, 1962
- Descendents of Pierre Ozanne (b1540) of Castel, Guernsey