Palmer family page
Soldier Isaac Palmer married Margaret Hawes in St Helier in 1807
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This name had its origins in the Crusades and pilgrimages from France to the Holy Lands. As proof that they had made the journey, participants would bring back a palm branch; hence paumier – palmer.
Palms were obviously not then the common plant that they are in the south of France today. Nor, indeed, in Jersey, where they became very popular in the late 20th century to create the South Sea Island image projected at potential holidaymakers.
Palmer made its first appearance in Jersey in January 1780 with the marriage of Roger from Bedfordshire to Anne Esnouf, in St Saviour, followed by the baptism of the first of their children in April of the same year.
The Edmund Palmer shown in over 500 Ancestry trees as having been born in Jersey, Channel Islands, in 1747 had nothing to do with the island and was born in New Jersey, as a quick perusal of his ancestry and siblings in any of the trees will confirm. You only need to look at one - they are all copied from each other and doubtless from a single, careless, original.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Palmer family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edmund Palmer, St Helier - 11 May 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Marina Palmer, widow of William Frederick Le Feuvre - 28 January 1905, D/Y/A/64
- Mary Palmer, the Aged Womens Home, St Helier - 29 June 1903, D/Y/A/62
- Nancy Palmer of St Helier - 9 February 1891, D/Y/A/50
- Phoebe Palmer, Imperial Villas, St Saviours Road - 22 June 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Reginald Palmer, 1 Don Terrace, 59 Don Road, St Helier - 28 December 1945, D/Y/A/114
- Thomas Palmer, Warnford Court, London, gentleman - 4 August 1922, D/Y/A/82
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs