Parsons family page
Elizabeth Jane Parsons, born in St Helier in 1851, the daughter of Thomas (1813- ) and Susan, nee Collings (1814-1870), married Harry Albert Hicks (1845-1901) in New York in 1870
If you can help with information about the Parsons family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Literally ‘son of the priest’ this name could also have been given to his servant. The Latin root persona meant a person, and the priest was considered to be the most important person in his parish.
Thomas Parsons married Mary Ann Harris at St Helier in June 1811. They do not appear to have had any children, but William Parsons and Betsey Musgrove, who married in St Helier in October that year had four children baptised in the parish from 1815 to 1824. There are several online trees which are clearly copied from each other which show William Parsons born in Monkleigh, Devon in 1792 and married to Jane Eplett, but the St Helier baptism and marriage registers clearly show the William in Jersey as married to Betty or Betsey Musgrove.
A Robert Parsons who emigrated to Newfoundland is claimed to have been born in Jersey in 1782 in some online trees, but there is no record of this birth in the island.
Great War service
- George Parsons (1887-1918) (St H)Private, Yorkshire Regiment, killed in action
- Charles Parsons (1889- ) (St H), Private RJGB
These wills created by members of the Parsons family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Parsons : Christabel Maud , wife of Charles Cuthbert Aston, of Budnall Farm Cottage, Aylesbury Road, Haddenham, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire - 19/Mar/1975 , 30/Jun/1976 , D/Y/B1/242/33
- Parsons : Morley Stewart , of 7, Gleneagles, Musgrave Road, Durban, Natal, South Africa - 28/Nov/1966 , 28/Mar/1973 , D/Y/B1/188/23
- Parsons : Victor John , of Green Hill, St Martin - 11/Nov/1957 , 03/Dec/1959 , D/Y/B1/56/85