Pepin family page
Jeanne Pepin married Philippe Martin in St Martin in 1752
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a name which goes all the way back to Charlemagne, whose father was Pepin the Short. It started as the Germanic personal name Pipin, and became the family name Pepin, most notably in the Savoie region of eastern France, but also in Normandy.
The first Jersey Pepins probably came from Normandy, certainly as early as the late 16th century, and possibly earlier. They have never been particularly numerous in the island, but nearly 200 baptisms and births are on record, up to the 20th century. The name now appears to have died out in the island, however.
Online information is sketchy and it was not until October 2015 that we received an outline tree, which we were able to expand using church records, particularly for Grouville, where the majority of the family has been concentrated. Since then two further trees have been added.
The family line can be traced in Jersey from 1587 almost to the present day, but there is at least one separate family which arrived from the Saint Malo area in about 1800, and gave the island a Jurat, Stuart Philip Pepin, in the 1960s.
- Pepin 1668
- Pepis 1668
- Pepon 1607
- Pipon, not a variant, but a different name with different derivation
Notable family members
- Stuart Philip Pepin (1901-1975), manager of Jersey Gasworks during the German Occupation and Jurat of the Royal Court from 1964 until his death
Great War service
- Arthur Raymond Pepin (1892- ) (St O) son of John and Louisa, OV, Sub-Lieutenant RNVR
- Cyril Le Brocq Pepin (1897- ) (St P) son of George and Anna, Private, Labour Corps
- Helier Blampied Pepin (1874- ) (St H) son of Helier and Jane, Private RASC
- Kenneth Pepin (1900- ) (St O) son of John and Amy, OV, Private, London Regiment
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs