Perrin family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
This name, which along with Perrier, Perrée and others, is derived from the ancient french for stone, and could signify a stone engraver or merchant. It may also quite simply be derived from the given name Pierre.
It is a common name in Normandy, where it can be traced back as a given name to the 13th century.
The name is also very common in England, dating back to the 12th century in various spellings. Geoffrey Perrun of Lincolnshire is in the Knight Templar rolls of 1185. Henry Piron of Oxfordshire in 1194, John Pirun of Wiltshire in 1255 and John Perin of Cambridgeshire in 1273 are other examples of the name. It was first recorded in 1166 in the Pipe Rolls of Gloucestershire, during the reign of Henry II.
The Perrin family was prominent in Jersey and Guernsey in the 14th and 15th centuries, but there is some confusion about which island some of the descendants of Jean Perrin (see tree below) were born in. It is an important lineage in Jersey because Elizabeth Perrin (1538- ) married George Paulet who was three times Bailiff of Jersey. Their daughter Rachel (1561-1650) married Philip de Carteret (1552-1594).
The family appears to have died out in the mid 17th century, made a brief reappearance in the mid-18th, and then became established again in the mid-19th.
Along with numerous other French farmworkers who settled in Jersey at this time, Julien Marie Perrin, who married Catherine Sainte Rault in Trinity in 1891, came from Ploeuc-sur-Lie in the Cotes d'Armor department of north Brittany. See tree below
- Perrin, 1461-78
- Perin 1607
- Perine c1340
- du Perrine
- Descendants of Jean Perrin (1330)
- Descendants of Comte du Perrine
- Descendants of Pierre Francois Perrin
Great War service
- Thomas Frederick Perrin (1871-1917) son of Thomas and Elizabeth Margaret, nee Le Quesne, Captain, RE, killed in action in Mesopotamia
- Albert Francis Perrin (1881- )(Tr) son of Jean and Anne Marie, husband of Daisy Maud, Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Arthur Gilbert Perrin (1888- ) (Tr) son of Jean and Anne, Private, Labour Corps
- Evelyn Perrin, British Red Cross (probably married name)
- Henry Millington Perrin (1872- ) (St H) son of Edward and Mary Ann Lydia Kemp, Canada
- Julien Marie Perrin (1874- ) (Tr), Driver RFA
- Peter Perrin MM, L-Cpl, RE
These wills created by members of the Perrin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Amale Perrin of St Martin - 25 October 1900, D/Y/A/59
- Elizabeth Perrin, 53 Angell Road, Brixton, Surrey - 29 March 1902, D/Y/A/61
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs