Philip Godfray

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Cameraicon.png


Philip Godfray's 19th century photographs


Lib17GodfrayCorbiere.jpg

La Corbiere lighthouse


Philip Godfray had a long career as a professional photographer in Jersey, and his business moved several times. He started out in the Royal Square, from 1858 to 1862; moving to 61 New Street from 1863 to 1873; 16 Bath Street from 1873 to 1881; and then 35 Belmont Road, 18 Hill Street and 12 Market Arcade from 1882 to 1898.

In the days before postcards became the principal means by which those who did not own a camera themselves could purchase island views, Godfray sold carte de visite size prints and also stereoview image pairs, which offered a form of three-dimensional view when looked at through a stereoscope. Godfray was particularly active in the late 1860s and through the 1870s, and prints of his photographs sold well at the time and frequently come up for sale today. We have brought together on this page some of the Godfray photographs which have been in Jerripedia for some time, in a variety of galleries, and added a selection of images new to the site, scanned and sent to us in 2017 by a collector.


Jersey's first purpose-built public market, off Halkett Place. It was demolished in 1880 and a new market was built to replace it, opening in 1882. This picture is believed to date from 1870
Views
Personal tools
Navigation
Toolbox
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs