Philip Dolbel was born in Jersey in 1827 and became a seafarer with a shipping business. He arrived in New Zealand in 1855 and eventually opened a general store in Clive with his brother Richard. He bought Springfield Station in 1865 and later Redcliffe.
The brothers farmed both properties, and this land included which is now the Dolbel Reserve. Philip also farmed the Maungahararu Station at Tutira, but suffered property loss during the Hau Hau rebellion, and sold. By 1891 he had a flock of 25,000 sheep. He served his province in national government, and also represented Puketapu on the HB County and Harbour Board. He died in 1901, a bachelor.
Philip Dolbel was born in Jersey, Channel Islands, in the year 1827, and followed a seafaring life from an early age. He owned a vessel called the Hearty, trading on the English coast. He went to New Zealand from Melbourne in 1855, on the brig Hokoporinga, landed at Wellington, and for about 12 months was employed at bridge building, etc.
Then he removed to Hawke's Bay, lived for a considerable time at Clive, and engaged in various pursuits in that district until 1869. He was more than once burnt out by the Maoris, and suffered great losses. About 1865 he purchased some 900 acres, part of his later estate at Springfield. To this property he added a large station at Petane, consisting of 24,000 acres. Mr Dolbel was a member of the Provincial Council for over 16 years, was also a member of the Hawke's Bay County Council, and the Napier Harbour Board. He died at Springfield, Taradale, on 28 October 1901.