15 September 2019
Now you see it ...
Our Picture of the week feature makes a welcome return after a five-month gap. Jerripedia's editorial team may not have been idle over the spring and summer months, but some regular features have been suspended to give them more free time than they have been used to. The new feature picture shows St Aubin's Harbour, viewed from the top of Rue du Croquet, otherwise known as the High Street, or Market Hill. But there is something missing, compared with the many photographs taken from a similar viewpoint over many years. The Jersey Railway terminus building at the back of the terminus hotel, now St Brelade's Parish Hall, has gone. This dates the photograph to not long after October 1836, when fire swept through the St Aubin station and carriage shed, destroying all the rolling stock stored there for the winter and ensuring that the service, already operating at a considerable loss, would not be restarted the following year. Soon after, the charred remains of the building were demolished and the track from St Aubin to St Helier was removed, creating the now popular pedestrian and cycle track along the coast, and much-needed car parking spaces at St Aubin.
Archive pictures of the week - 2011
Archive pictures of the week - 2012
Archive pictures of the week - 2013
Archive pictures of the week - 2014
Archive pictures of the week - 2015
Archive pictures of the week - 2016
Archive pictures of the week - 2017
Archive pictures of the week - 2018
Archive pictures of the week - 2019