Pike family page
Hilda Summers, nee Pike, with husband Albert and their children
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This is a surname of early medieval English origin, and has three possible origins. The first is of a fishmonger, or a fisherman for pike. Alternatively it may be a surname for one who worked the soil using a pike for breaking up the earth, it could be the name given to a soldier who used a pike, a weapon consisting of a sharp metal end on a long pole.
The name first appears in Jersey records in 1701, when soldier John Pike married Anne Kerbel in St Helier. There is no record of their having a family in Jersey, the first baptism recorded being that of William, son of John and Abagell Pike in St Helier in 1783.
In 1816 there was a marriage of another soldier John Pike to Mary Harding, and in 1822 Samuel Pike, described as coming from St Helier, but probably an immigrant, married Nancy Coutanche, also of St Helier, in St Saviour's Parish Church. They had six daugthters, all baptised in St Helier.
Great War service
- Douglas Stanley Pike (1895-1918) son of John and Rosina, Rifleman, King's Royal Rifle Corps, died of wounds
These wills created by members of the Pike family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Harold Pike - 23 July 1943, D/Y/A/111
- Joseph Pike of 12, La Motte Street, St Helier, victualler - 6 April 1868, D/Y/A/34
- Adelaide Pike, Le Prés, Grouville - 9 May 1906, D/Y/A/65
- Julia Pike, Les Pres, Grouville - 22 March 1912, D/Y/A/71
- John Pike, Lyndhurst, St Brelade 28 September 1911 - 12 March 1917, D/Y/A/76
- Mabel Pike, Lyndhurst, St Brelade - 13 March 1925, D/Y/A/85
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs