Portelet Holiday Camp
Portelet, the first holiday camp in Jersey, opened in 1925 with wooden chalets spread across the headland, and a communal dining hall. Shortly before the Second World War the new Concorde building was constructed, despite considerable controversy over what was seen by many as an ugly blot on the skyline. During the war the site was requisitioned by the Germans and used to house troops manning the defences at Noirmont.
The holiday camp was founded by Nigel Oxenden, and passed to his daughter, Joy, who eventually sold it to holiday camp magnate Sir Billy Butlin, although it never became an official part of the Butlin holiday camp chain.
Little work was done on the camp in the 1950s and 60s, but as Jersey's holiday industry peaked in the 70s and 80s, Portlet Holiday Camp because extremely popular and steadily grew in size.
The biggest expansion came after 1994, when the business was purchased from the Butlin family by Pontins. The group completely converted what became known as the Jersey Holiday Village, creating three self-catering accomadation blocks named Consort, Regent and Horizon. The main building remained and included a restaurant, bar, indoor jacuzzi, sports bar, children's room.
The camp closed in 2000 after the Pontin's chain was broken up following the death of Sir Fred Pontin, and was eventually sold for development.
The pages of a 1930s holiday brochure, when the camp was owned by the Oxenden family. Click on any page to see the full-size version
Click on any image to see a full-size version