The Portelet Hotel was built on the site of a private house, the Kalima Hall in St Brelade, by newcomers to the island George Andrew Seymour and his wife Mary, who went on to develop one of the island's largest hotel groups.
The best country hotel
By the 1930s, when they advertised it as 'The best country hotel in Jersey', with the telephone numbers St Aubin 4 and 536, they had completed a second round of major redevelopment of the property and offered accommodation for 150 guests.
The hotel was developed further in the 1960s.
In 1930 it offered:
- "Sea and landscape views from all rooms; electric light throughout; rooms with private baths (something which is taken for granted today but was a relative novelty at that time); hot and cold water in all bedrooms; gas fires; multi-spring matresses; bedside lights; a ballroom with maple floor; sunlounge; excellent cuisine; and a full licence at what was described as the most glorious position of any hotel in the Channel Islands."
Another hotel brochure makes it clear the importance George and Mary placed on meeting all their guests' requirements
- "This first-class establishment, standing in its own grounds, is replete with every comfort, accommodation and convenience for visitors. Baths, hot and cold. Electric light throughout. Charmingly situated, overlooking the beautiful bays - St Brelade, Portelet and Ouaisne - undoubtedly the finest view in the island. Excellent bathing facilities. Easy distance from Golf Links. Tennis Court, Gardens and Garage attached to Hotel. Smoking Lounge. Separate Tables. Cars meet boats by arrangement.
- "The proprietor makes a special feature of arranging Touring Parties from the Hotel twice a week to various beauty spots and Places of historical interest on the island. Charabancs and private cars call daily for excursion parties. There is also a good bus service to and from town. Trips arranged to France (St Malo, Dinard), Guernsey and Sark. Whist Drives, Bridge, Dances, Musical Evenings."