Postal services 1858-1969

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search



JerseyPostIcon.png


Postal services
1858-1969


HalkettPlacePO.png

Halkett Place Post Office


After spells of being housed in Bond Street and Halkett Place, the Island’s main post office opened in Broad Street on 21 June 1909. It was home to the entire Post Office, and would be for many years. This included the collection, sorting and delivery operations, with bicycles being introduced into the operation in the early part of the century and motorised vehicles being introduced in the 1930s

Further articles




GalleryHeader2.png


Halkett Place Post Office in the late 19th century
The Halkett Place Post Office on a 1990 stamp
The Broad Street Post Office on a 1990 stamp
Then and Now - 1930s
A letter sent from Jersey to Tubingen in Germany in 1861, via England and Calais. Presumably it reached its destination, despite the mis-spelling of the name
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs