Powell family page
Barbara Powell married soldier Samuel Hughes in Br Brelade in 1808
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname may have derived from Paul, but it is far more likely that it was a corruption of the Welsh 'ap-Howell' or 'Hywel', meaning 'son of Hywel'.
The surname is found in Jersey as early as 1689, when Thomas Powell m Jeanne de Ste Croix in St Clement. However, the first baptisms were the children of Arthur Powell and Elizabeth Bailhache in the 1790s.
Great War service
- Brian Baden Powell (1899-1920) son of William Morley and Agnes Ann, OV, Lieutenant 69th Punjabis, died in India Although recognised by Victoria College as a victim of the Great War, Brian Powell died in 1920 of an illness contracted at the end of 1919, over a year after the war ended. He was born in Cheshire and educated in Jersey, at St Ouen's School, where his father was appointed headmaster in the early 1900s, then at OxenfordHouse, before entering Victoria College in 1915. Despite his second name, there is no established link to the family of the founder of Scouting, Robert Baden Powell. We have been unable to establish any details of his father's ancestry. He was born in Hanley, Staffordshire, in 1864.
These wills created by members of the Powell family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1978, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Susan Powell née Le Maistre, 95 Rouge Bouillon, St Helier, widow - 9 February 1945, D/Y/A/113
- Arthur Powell of St Saviour, bequeaths to the poor of St Saviour, £16 of the order of the King 17 November 1821 - D/Y/A/19
- Joseph Powell of St Ouen, bequeaths to the poor of St Ouen 10s - 14 August 1878, D/Y/A/40
- Osborne Powell, 3 St Marks Crescent, St Helier, desires to be buried in St Matthews Catholic Church, St Peters, - 31 December 1924, D/Y/A/84
- Robert Powell, Public Works Department, Puselaura, Ceylon - 3 May 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Philip Powell, St Ouen - 14 January 1935, D/Y/A/97
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs