Preston family page
William Preston and Mary Short were married in St Helier in 1818
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Unsurprisingly this surname is linked to one or more placenames, most notably the Lancashire town. Ultimately it is derived from the old English preost = 'priest' and tun = an 'enclosure' or 'settlement'. The name would have meant 'village with a priest', or 'a village held by the Church'.
The name first appeared in Jersey records with the baptism in St Helier in 1814 of Susan Preston, daughter of Thomas and Margaret. They do not appear to have had any further children and the first family to become established was that of William and Mary Short, who married in St Helier in May 1818 and had the first of four children baptised that December.
- de Prestun, found in 12th century English records
- de Preston, found in 13th century English records
Great War service
- George Preston (1898-1918), Private, Royal Berkshire Regiment, killed in action Although he is apparently commemorated on a family memorial in Almorah Cemetery, we have found no local records for George Preston.
- Wilfred Henry Preston (1898-1919) son of Alfred Preston and Elizabeth, nee Roberts, Gunner RFA, died of illness contracted days before the Armistice
- Edwin Preston, from UK, Private, RJGB
- Sydney Howard Preston (1886- ) (Cornwall) Jersey wife, Corporal RGA
These wills created by members of the Preston family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edward Preston of Pontac, St Clement - 7 January 1880, D/Y/A/41
- Harry Preston, Bon Air, St Saviour - 25 February 1929, D/Y/A/89