Queripel family page
Emily May Queripel (1902- ) (St B) d of Edwin Charles and Elizabeth White, m Timothy Elliott
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of surname
We do not know where the name originates from, or its meaning.
According to Edgar MacCullough Guernsey Folklore, 1903, there is an expression in Guernesiais: fait de sen Queripel, which means to behave like a Queripel, and is used to describe a man whose vanity leads him to give himself airs, and take too much upon himself.
The surname Queripel dates back at least to the 14th Century in Guernsey. It is found in the Extente des Iles (1274), but as the forename of Carupel Mordant. The earliest references to Carupel as a surname can be found in the 1309 Assizes Roll, in which there are references to six people with that surname. By 1364, the spelling had settled as Queripel, as the name appears on a list of people paying rent to the Priory of Martinvast in that year, in the Cartulaire de Jersey.
Although the name is found in Jersey church records from the early 18th century onwards, it is believed that the Jersey Queripels of that era and since originated in Guernsey.
- Rue Queripel, St Sampsons, Guernsey
- Captain Lionel Ernest Queripel - awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery at the Battle of Arnhem
- June Allyson - famous American Stage/Screen Actress and married to the Actor/Producer Dick Powell. Born Ella (Elinor) Geisman born on 7 October 1917, in Bronx, NY, died on 8 June 2006. She was the daughter of Robert Geisman and Clara Provost and she was the 2x great-granddaughter of Henry Queripel born 1803, Forest, Guernsey, died New York.
Great War service
- Archibald Samuel Queripel (1880- ) (St Mt) son of John and Mary , Sergeant, Gloucester Regiment
- William George Queripel (1890- ) (St B) son of John Henry and Mary Elizabeth, husband of Dorothy Andrews, Corporal, RGA
This will created by a member of the Queripel family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Rachel Queripel of St Peter Port, Guernsey, now of 2 Hope Street, St Helier - 8 December 1894, D/Y/A/53
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs