Rabet family page
The origins of this surname, which came to Jersey from Ploeuc-sur-Lie in Brittany are uncertain
Francois and Angelique Rabet
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
The name is of French origin, probably from Brittany. We have not found a reference to it, or anything spelled remotely similarly, in any of our main French sources of surname origins.
However, the Internet Surname Database has a reference to Rabbe, which with a final 'é' would be pronounced the same. This suggests that the name is derived from the same source as the personal name Robert.
- "Coming from the old German, Hrodebert, a compound of the elements "hrod", renown and "berht" bright and famous. The name is occasionally found in England before the Conquest of 1066, but in the main it was the Norman's who introduced it to England."
The surname does not appear to have been seen in Jersey until around 1880. A number of members of the family arrived in the island from Ploeuc, a small town close to St Malo.
The name is still found in Jersey today.
The following members of the Rabet family appear in the 1881 Jersey census, all born in France
- Francois Rabet, b 1852
- Genvieve Rabet, b 1852
- Jane Marie Rabet b 1864
- Jean Louis Rabet b 1845
- Marie Rabet, b 1859
- Yves Rabit, b 1855 Ploeur (Ploeuc?)
Great War service
- Pierre Ernest Rabet (1897-1916) son of Pierre and Victorine Rabet, Private, Royal Irish Fusiliers, died in grenade accident
- Francis Rabet (1896- ) (Tr) son of Guillaume and Angelique, Private RAF
- Henry Yves Rabet (1902- ) (St S) Son of Yves Marie and Jeanne Marie Rabet, Boy RN, HMS Danae
- Louis Joseph Rabet (1899- ) (St H) son of Pierre and Victorine, Stoker RN, HMS Inconstant
- Raymond Frank Rabet (1891- ) (St H) Son of Yves Marie and Jeanne Marie Rabet, Officer's Styeward RN, HMS Iron Duke
These wills created by members of the Rabet family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jean Rabet of Cortina, Pontac, St Clement - 11 July 1945, D/Y/A/113
- Guilleaume Rabet, La Grande Route, Augres, Trinity - 28 March 1935, D/Y/A/97
- John Rabet, Vincent Hall, Trinity - 17 March 1916, D/Y/A/75
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
Family photo album
Pierre Ernest Rabet (1897-1916), killed in Great War