Randall family page
This family came to Jersey from Yeovil, Somerset, in the early 19th century
Robert Henry Randall was born in St Helier in 1835, the son of Robert (1810- ) and Eleanor, nee Tinckham (1813- )
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is mainly an English surname, although occasionally found in Scotland. It comes from the Middle English given name Randel, a diminutive of the personal name Rande, (from the Germanic word for shield) to which was added the Norman French diminutive suffix "-el"; meaning little, or probably 'son of Rande'.
A second possible source is a form of the old English personal names Randwulf or Randulf, from the Viking name Rondulfr, and derived from the elements meaning shield and wolf.
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1809, and the earliest family to settle is believed to have come from Dorset, via Somerset.
- Rendall, treated as a separate family
- Randall baptisms in Jersey
- Randall marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Randall marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Randall burials in Jersey
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Randall family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Randall, 40 Bath Street, St Helier - 11 June 1919, D/Y/A/79
- Elizabeth Randall, The Peirson Inn, St Helier 7 November 1910 - 10 February 1927, D/Y/A/87
- Elizabeth Randall, wife of Ernest Le Lacheur, St Aubins Road, St Helier - 12 March 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Henry Randall, Clare House, Clare Street, St Helier - 4 January 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Joseph Randall of Clyre Cottage, Havre des Pas, St Helier - 13 June 1864, D/Y/A/32
- Joseph Randall, Clydestill, Havre des Pas, St Helier, secretary of Abraham de Gruchy and Co Ltd, bequeaths the properties Clydestill and 14 Vauxhall Street, St Helier to his heirs - 13 December 1922, D/Y/A/82
- Robert Randall of Clare House, Clare Street, St Helier, bequeaths to the Ragged School, Cannon Street £25, to Robert Henry Randall the portrait of the testator by Ouless - 5 November 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Thomas Randal of Brintwood, Essex, now of Jersey 16 August 1796 - D/Y/A/15
- William Randall, Clare House, Clare Street, St Helier - 26 February 1912, D/Y/A/71
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Mervyn Gregory Randall at Marfaux British Cemetery, near Epernay
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Starting in August 2020 we are adding several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form