From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Ravenscrag, St Lawrence


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name


Other names

  • Bon Choix
  • Bon Choisi


Rue de Haut, St Lawrence

Type of property

Victorian house, built in 1863 remodelled in early 20th century. Now converted to apartments

Line of ownership

Details researched by Shane Sweeney for the Societe Jersisiase Architecture Section

  • The Rev Philippe Tourgis acquired the land that Bon Choix was built on on 1 February 1862 from William Ramie and Anne Denize, nee de Ste Croix
  • Left in Philippe Tourgis' will to Philip Henry Tourgis
  • Sold on 21 November 1885 to William Laurence de Gruchy
  • Sold on 9 December 1886 to Adrien Alexandre Alavoine for £675
  • Sold on 4 April 1891 to James Collas for £990. He changed the name to Ravenscrag
  • Left to James' neice Emma Jane Collas on 20 April 1907
  • Left to her brother Wyndham Dumaresq Collas in Emma's will on 23 October 1937
  • Left to his sister, Laura Perree, nee Collas, wife of John Arthur Perree in his will on 2 January 1943
  • Left to her only daughter Sybil Laura Perree
  • Sold on 26 January 1946 to Marie Jeanne Sandeman, nee Blandin, wife of Victor Staunton Sandeman
  • Sold on 21 June 1952 to George Duncan Stewart
  • Left to his wife Lilian Joan Stewart, nee Pyman in his will on1 4 March 1959
  • Sold to Maca Limited on 24 February 1989 for £240,000
  • Sold to Estribo Property Investments on 12 January 2001 for £620,000

Families associated with the property

  • Smith: In 1941 Thomas John Smith (1898- ) and his wife Betsy Smith, née Stirling (1900- ) were living here
  • Collas: James Collas owned the property at the beginning of the 20th century and left it in his 1905 will to Emma Jane Collas. They were living together at Ravenscrag in 1901. James was a fish merchant, born in St Mary in 1838, and Emma was his niece, daughter of his brother John. The 1939 will of Wyndham Dumaresq Collas shows that he was living here then. The 1911 census shows that he was Emma's young brother and that they shared the house with their sister Mary Ann, and two servants.
  • Stewart: George Duncan Stewart was the owner according to his 1955 will. His widow is believed to have lived in the property for a considerable time after his death
  • Gwynne: In the 1891 census the property is listed as Bon Choix, occupied by Allan Gwynne, from Wales, his wife Mary Edith, daughters Dorothy Mary and Gladys Evelyn, and son Alban. The whole family was born either in Wales or England

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A late Victorian property retaining more unusual architectural features and character. Detached, set back from road.

The whole property is set back with a front car parking space. Sub-divided into apartments. Retains some internal features including original staircase, joinery details, stucco coffered arch and coloured tiled floor area inside entrance. [1]

Notes and references

  1. The HER description is not particularly helpful. The property is believed to date from 1863 - so mid-Victorian - and to have been remodelled and extended following a design by distinguished Jersey architect Adolphus Curry in 1901. La Société Jersiaise has the original drawing
A restored Victorian fireplace which was previously at Ravenscrag
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs