Reed family page
Edmund Martin Reed
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname, in its various spellings, comes from the old English '['read = 'red' and signified somebody with red hair. It may also have identified somebody who lived in a woodland clearing, from Ried, ryd.
Reed first appeared in Jersey records in 1828 with the baptism of Elizabeth, first of two children of Hugh Reed and Harriet.
However, Reede was known in St Brelade as early as 1560, and Reid, in St Lawrence and St Helier from 1781 onwards.
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Reed family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Thomas Reed of Jersey, late surgeon of the Honourable East India Company's Service at St Helena 28 March 1845 - D/Y/A/26
- Sydney Reed, 1 St Marks Road, St Helier - 29 November 1928, D/Y/A/88
- Edmund Reed, 3 Almorah Road, St Helier, Lieutenant Colonel, Indian Army - 18 August 1917, D/Y/A/77
- Robert Reed, 33 Gloucester Street, St Helier - 20 January 1943, D/Y/A/110
- George Reed, Georgetown House, St Saviour - 15 April 1931, D/Y/A/91
- Robert Reed, Northdale, St Lawrence - 27 March 1930, D/Y/A/90
- William Reid of 112 Great Union Road, St Helier - 19 March 1888, D/Y/A/47
- Thomas Read - 14 June 1882, D/Y/A/42
- Charles Read, Beau Sejour, St Clement - 27 October 1927, D/Y/A/87