Renault family page
Amanda Louisa Renault (1882-1966), who eventually emigrated to Australia, seen here with Peter and Ivy Violet, children of her first marriage to Pierre Marie Menier
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This name is derived from a medieval personal name 'Renaud', itself coming from the Germanic Raginwald - 'Ragin-' = 'advice' and '-wald' = 'powerful'.
The first Renault baptisms appear in the St Saviour registers from 1542 and the family was firmly established in neighbouring Grouville from 1590 and through the 17th and into the 18th century. From the late 17th century it appears to have spread its wings into the northern parishes of St Mary, St Lawrence, St John and Trinity.
The Pierre Jean Renault family tree (below) were new arrivals from France in the 19th century.
- Renault, 1607
- Renaut 1749
- Regnault 1607
- Reignold 1528
- Raynaud 1342
- Renaud, 1274
- Reynaud 1309
- Renaux, found in Normandy
- Descendants of Gion Renault, an early Jersey family
- Descendants of Jean Renault, a Trinity family
- Descendants of Elie Renault, a St Lawrence family
- Descendants of Pierre Jean Renault, newcomers from France in the 19th century
- Descendants of Thomas Renault, another later arrival from France
Great War service
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs