Ricou family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Although we have not found a derivation for Ricou, it is undoubtedly a variant of Ricoud or Ricoux, which despite their similarity, have different origins. Ricoud is a variant of Ricaud, which is derived from the Germanic Ricwald, meaning for strong ruler. Ricoux is said to come from Ricwulf, meaning strong wolf.
The name first appears in Jersey records in the 1840s. The family came to Jersey from Angers.
Great War service
- Raymond Robert Ricou (1895-1915) son of Edward Ricou and Harriet Elizabeth, nee Squibb, Ordinary Seaman RN, HMS Albion, died of fever on board ship in Mediterranean, buried in Greece
- Albert Alfred Ricou (1899-1970) (St B) son of Albert and Marie Ropert, ex-RMIJ, Driver RFA
- Paul Amy Ricou (1893- ) (St C) son of Albert and Alice Gallois, Gunner RFA
- Reginald Thomas Ricou (1880- ) (St S), son of Thomas and Elizabeth, served with Canadian Army
- Roland Sylvester Wimpey Ricou (1891- ) (St S) son of Thomas and Elizabeth, Private, Dorset Regiment
- Sidney George Squibb Ricou (1888- ) (St H), son of Edward and Harriet, Bombardier RFA
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs