Robert family page
Jeanne Robert (1811-1894) born St Lawrence, married Joshua Messervy and emigrated to Idaho
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of surname
The surname Robert is derived from the baptismal name.
The name is very common in Normandy as is said to derive from the Germanic 'Hrodberht', a combination of hrod- meaning 'glory' and -berht, meaning 'brilliant'.
It is believed that the name may have been adopted by the Norsemen as they spread south and established themselves in many parts of Europe, including Normandy, and that it spread from France to England after the Norman Conquest and from France to Jersey at about the same time.
The name features in island records as early as 1528, but there is a 1340 record for the variant 'Rober'.
The first recorded baptism in Jersey was in St Ouen in 1654, and the family remained largely in the western parishes of St Ouen and St Mary throughout the 17th and 18th centuries.
- Robert, 1528
- Rober, 1340
- Descendants of Denis Robert
- Descendants of Francois Robert, this and the above tree have now been supplanted by the second Denis Robert tree below
- Descendants of Thomas Robert
- Descendants of Thomas Robert and Jeanne Chevalier
- Descendants of Denis Robert - 2
- Descendants of Pierre Robert
- Descendants of Pierre Robert and Rachel Gibaut
Great War service
- P R J Roberts were in business at 41 King Street in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, but we are uncertain what the business was
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs