Roche family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Our English sources suggest that this name originates in France and applies to someone from the commune of 'Les Roches' in Normandy. Why Normandy, however, because the placename is found elsewhere in France. Our French sources suggest that the name applied to someone who lived in a fortress on a rocky outcrop and originates in the mountainous central region of France. The name is now widespread in England and Ireland and the first Jersey families emigrated from the latter.
The name first appears in Jersey records in the mid-19th century.
Great War service
- John Roche (1879-1918) (St H) husband of Bertha Blanche, Private, Hampshire Regiment, killed in action
- Arthur Francis Roche (1889- ) (St H) ex-RMIJ, Private, Labour Corps
- Henry Hungerford Roche (1884- ) (St H) husband of Rosa, ex-RMIJ, Private, RJGB
- Lewis James Roche (1886- ) (St H), Private, RAF
- William Oscar Leonard Roche (St H), Private, Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Roche family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charlotte Roche of Youghal, Cork, Ireland Now of St Helier 26 January 1859 - D/Y/A/29
- Mary Roche, 1 Leominster Gardens, London - 29 October 1947, D/Y/A/118
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs