Royal Bay of Grouville

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The bay from Mont Orgueil

The long sweep of Grouville Bay so impressed Queen Victoria on her first visit to the island that in 1859 the Home Secretary wrote to the Bailiff to annouce that she desired that it should be known as the Royal Bay of Grouville.

The Bay is very built-up at the southern end, but at the other end, approaching Gorey the large expanse of Grouville Common remains open although those walking across it do run the risk of being hit by golf balls on the section used by the Royal Jersey Golf Club.

The bay offers nearly 5 miles of sandy beach, with marshland behind the common, which has diminished in size over the years, although what remains is unspoilt by development and should remain so thanks to modern planning legislation. During the Occupation the Germans took over a million tons of sand off the beach to make the concrete needed for their bunkers, gun emplacements and other concrete fortifications. They built a railway from Gorey to St Helier to move the sand to where it was needed.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs