Sacred Heart School

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Late 1950s
A school group in 1959-60

The Sacred Heart School was a parish school at St Aubin founded and funded by the congregation of the Sacred Heart Church.

The school was run by the Nuns of the Immaculate Conception who traveled daily from Beaulieu Convent School.

Report of the opening

It was a great day for the Catholics in the Island of Jersey on Sunday 16 September 1955, when a new primary and junior school was officially blessed and opened in the parish of the Sacred Heart, St Aubin. All Catholic primary schools were suppressed by the States in 1912 and in spite of ceaseless efforts by the Catholic body in recent years under the leadership of the Jersey Catholic Association. the States have consistently refused to concede an inch.

They have turned down even such minor requests as permission for Catholic teachers to teach Catechism in States schools and scholarships for Catholic children to De la Salle College and the convents. Were it not for the efforts of the De la Salle Brothers, the Faithful Companions of Jesus and the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, who each run large secondary schools without the slightest help from the States, Catholic education would be extinct in the island.

Old building

Now the Sacred Heart Preparatory School has joined them. It is a non-fee-paying primary and junior school which will be supported completely by the parish, out of its collections and through the generosity of benefactors.

The Sisters of the Immaculate Conception will look after the school.

The building is an old one which has been converted with the help of voluntary work by the parishioners.

The opening ceremony was presided over by Fr Joseph Birch. Assistant-General of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, who have charge of the parish.

"All the sophistry and adverse comment in the world cannot convince the Catholic Church that religious men and women are formed anywhere but in schools where the religious atmosphere prevails," said Fr Birch. "You cannot gather grapes from thorns, neither can you foster religion and morality in an environment where religion is not inculcated and where morality is not upheld and enjoined as the foundation of right living." Canon Arthur Olney blessed the building. All the Island clergy were present, and a considerable body of the laity, among whom were Colonel R G Dawson, president of the local branch of the Jersey Catholic Association, the Constable of St Brelade, Mr J H Chevalier, and Senator Rumfitt, president of the Tourism Committee of the Island.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs