Sangan family page
Francois Sangan married Marie Louise Soudain in St Peter in 1879. Francois was a widower. In about 1890 he and his wife moved to Guernsey with their three sons, John (1880- ), Frank (1882- ) and Peter (1884-1966). Francois died shortly after from injuries received in a farming accident in Jersey
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
The Sangan family in Jersey can, like so many others of Breton origin, trace their ancestry to Ploeuc-sur-Lie in the Cotes d'Armor department of north Brittany. However, we have been unable to find any mention of the derivation of the name in either our French or British sources.
It is possible that it is connected to sang, the French for blood. That would be supported by suggestions that the name may be derived from sanguin, meaning both 'blood red' and 'cheerful, 'bright' and 'optimistic'.
The name first appears in island records in the 1850s. It is believed that at least four members of the same Ploeuc-sur-Lie family, which is shown in the family tree below came to Jersey at different times and established families in the island.
But the first arrival, who settled in St Mary, has not yet been identified
There are Sangans in Jersey today, probably descended from only one, or perhaps two, of the original immigrants.
Great War service
- Peter Edward Sangan (1844-1916) Sergeant RFA, killed in action
- John Francis Sangan (1899- ) (St H) Stoker RN, HMS Victory X
- Franks Sangan MM (1882- ) (St H) son of Yves Francois and Marie Louise Soudain, Corporal, Royal Irish Rifles, wounded
- Emile Henry Sangan (1881- ) (St H) son of Francois and Marie St Oger, husband of Josephine Toudic, Private, Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Sangan family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Azeline Sangan, 28 David Place, St Helier - 23 August 1946, D/Y/A/116
- Jean Sangan, Maison St Marculf, Green Street, St Helier - 11 January 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Pierre Sangan, Welton House, Vingtaine des Pigneaux, St Saviour - 22 March 1930, D/Y/A/90
- Jeanne Sangan, wife of Jean Ropert, Val de La Mare, St Peter - 21 August 1944, D/Y/A/112
- Marie Sangan, wife of Francis Johnson, 17, Parade Place, St Helier - 01 July 1939, D/Y/A/105
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs