Origin of Surname
The first Sinel appears to have come to Jersey from Normandy - see family tree and history below - having been born in Conde sur Vire and left France as a Huguenot refugee. Contrary to what was previously believed, there are still Sinels resident in that area - see discussion tab.
The name Siné, of which this could be a diminuitive, is known in the south Brittany department of Morbihan, as someone coming from the commune of Séné
- Sinel baptisms in Jersey
- Sinel marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Sinel marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Sinel burials in Jersey
- Jean Sinel of Jersey - 1731
- Sinels in New Zealand
- Joseph Sinel, archaeologist and historian
- Leslie Sinel, historian and compiler of German Occupation diary
- Bessie Sinel, Penang missionary
- George Sinel, transported convict
These wills created by members of the Sinel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Sinel : Edith Winifred , widow of John William Hoar, of Denehurst, Millbrook, St Lawrence - 10/Nov/1978 , 01/Dec/1978 , D/Y/B1/290/25
- Sinel : Frederick Charles , of Font Romeu, Westbourne Avenue, Bagatelle, St Saviour - 03/Mar/1948 , 02/Apr/1955 , D/Y/B1/29/29
- Sinel : Gladys Bertha Alice , widow of Charles George Warren, of Seabright, Gorey, St Martin and formerly of 17, Queen's Road, St Helier - 10/Nov/1958 , 27/Jun/1972 , D/Y/B1/176/31
- Sinel : Joseph , ... - 01/Aug/1927 , 22/Aug/1929 , D/Y/A/89/153
- Sinel : Joseph William , St Helier - 17/Nov/1897 , 08/Aug/1927 , D/Y/A/87/114
- Sinel : Laura Edith , 2 St Marks Crescent, St Helier - 17/Jun/1935 , 03/Sep/1935 , D/Y/A/98/2
- Sinel : Mary Elizabeth , of Trunnah Farm, Thornton, near Blackpool, England - 13/Jul/1949 , 02/Feb/1953 , D/Y/B1/17/50
- Sinel : Matilda Margaret , nee Viney, South Lynne, Woodville Avenue, St Saviours Road, widow - 07/Nov/1921 , 05/Feb/1923 , D/Y/A/83/25
- Sinel : Priscela Selina , 58 Stopford Road, St Helier - 15/Nov/1938 , 03/Feb/1939 , D/Y/A/104/31
A Miss Sinel photographed by Ernest Baudoux
An envelope addressed to F C Sinel in 1941. This was Frederick Charles Sinel, born in 1871
1873 advert for the Prince of Wales Hotel on the corner of New Street and Union Street. The establishment was actually at 36 New Street/1 Union Street, not as shown in the advert. The landlord, John Sinel (1842- ), was the son of John Sinel (1816 – 1858) and Elizabeth Porter (1824 – 1849) daughter of William. He does not appear to have been in business here for very long ...
... The 1871 census shows him living in Hue Street with his second wife Margaret, and daughters Alice and Emily. His occupation was given as publican, but it is uncertain where his pub was situated. By the time of the 1881 census the family had moved to Bond Street and John's occupation was shown as tobacconist, as confirmed by this 1881 advert
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form