Single family page
Marjorie Single, on the occasion of her engagement to Alfred George Bower
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The literal meaning of the surname Single is 'farm in the burnt clearing' from the old English word sengel.
It is suggested that it may also have been used to describe someone who lived alone, but that situation would have had to change for him to father children to continue his line and perpetuate the name.
There is a record in Trinity of the baptism of Jean Single, son of Jean, in 1682, then nothing until 1848. It was the following year that George Thomas, son of Edward Single and Esther Jane Newberry, was baptised in St Helier, the first of nine of their children to be baptised there.
- Single, just a 'single' variant!
Great War service
- Harold Winter William Single (served as Holley) (1894-1918) (Spain) son of Winter and Jane Ann, nee Holley, desterted from RN and joined Army under mother's maiden name; Private, Wiltshire Regiment
- Walter Dale Single (1895-1918) son of Walter William and Georgine Collings, Private, Dorset Regiment, killed in action in Middle East
These wills created by members of the Single family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Benjamin Single - 19 June 1893, D/Y/A/52
- Charles Single - 28 December 1911, D/Y/A/70
- Walter Single, 2 Kew Villas, Town Mills, St Helier - 27 June 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Edward Single, St Helier - 23 February 1929, D/Y/A/89
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Walter Dale Single at Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel