Siouville family page
Lizzie Anna Siouville (1879-1962
If you can help with information about the Siouville family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and family photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Two branches of this family came to Jersey in the mid-19th century from Gouey, on the Normandy coast next to Portbail. The family name is likely to have originated in Siouville-Hague, further up the Cotentin Peninsular coast.
Siouville is believed to have been known in the 13th century as Seolvilla, and to be derived from the earlier personal name Saewald or Siwold - hence 'Siwold's town'
The first appearance of this surname in Jersey records was the birth of Victorine Josephine Siouville, registered in Grouville between 1842 and 1851. She was not part of the family shown in either of the trees below. There is a burial record for Victorine Josephine in Grouville in 1850, giving her birth year as 1848, but no further information. Whoever her parents were, it seems that they did not have any more children in Jersey.
There was a marriage of Jean Siouville to Marie Aubert in St Saviour in 1852, and they had four children baptised in the parish between 1854 and 1860. They do not appear to have any connection with Victorine, or Jean Pierre Francois Siouville and Elize Le Huquet, who started another family, so it appears that three different Siouville families arrived in Jersey at about the same time. All other Siouvilles in the island seem to be descendants of the two trees below.
Great War service
- John Francis Siouville (1899-1918) son of John Peter Siouville and Amelia Jane, nee Norman, husband of Margaret May, nee de la Haye; Private, Royal Berkshire Regiment
- Sydney Charles Siouville (1879- ) son of Jean Pierre Francois and Elise Julie, nee Le Huquet
Notes on our list, abbreviations used etc , Private, RJGB
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Siouville : Emile Le Geyt , of No 6, Parade Road, St Helier and formerly of La Commune, St Saviour - 02/Dec/1977 , 30/May/1979 , D/Y/B1/301/7
- Siouville : Francois , of France, now of Grouville 01/11/1867 Bequeaths to the poor of Grouville 1 shilling - Unknown date , 07/Sep/1872 , D/Y/A/36/96
- Siouville : Martha , nee Norman, widow of Sidney Charles Siouville, of Glenrose Cottage, Portelet Road, St Brelade - 27/May/1961 , 02/Nov/1962 , D/Y/B1/71/12
- Siouville : Sidney Charles , of Amanda Cottage, St Brelade - 07/May/1917 , 27/May/1961 , D/Y/B1/64/48
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
None yet identified
Notes and references
- ↑ Shown on memorial at Vis-en-Artois, Pas de Calais, as 'Sionville'