Springate family page
Edwin Springate married Mary Adams in St Martin in 1827
If you can help with information about the Springate family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name has two possible origins, the first of which is from a medieval nickname, 'Springal(d)', for a young man, a youth or stripling, derived from an Old English personal name from the verb Springan, to jump, or leap, plus the Old French suffix '-ald'.
The second possible origin is an occupational name for a soldier responsible for operating the medieval siege-engine called the 'Springalde', from the Old French espringalle. The engine was built like a giant bow or catapult and was used in medieval warfare for hurling heavy missiles against fortifications.
The Springates were relatively late arrivals in Jersey, arriving from Kent in the shape of William Johncock Springate (1813-888) who married Jane Trout in St Helier in 1835.
Great War service
- Clarence William Springate (1899- ) (Gr) husband of Kathleen Vera Lesbirel, Air Mechanic RAF
- Edwin Cecil Springate (1895- ) (Gr) husband of Alice Lilian Niles, Air Mechanic RAF
- Ernest John Springate (1872- ) (St Mt) son of James Trout Springate and Susan Anne, nee Jeune, husband of Mary Ann Quenault, ex-RMIJ, Northumberland Fusiliers
- Herbert Cantell Springate (St P) ex-RMIJ, Private DCLI
- Percy Harold Springate (1898- ) (St P) husband of Stella Violet Beck, Private, Tank Corps
These wills created by members of the Springate family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Archelaus Springate of Grouville - 5 June 1928, D/Y/A/88
- Edwin Springate, 33 Great Union Road, St Helier - 21 February 1947, D/Y/A/117
- Jane Springate, Gorey Village, widow of Thomas John Baker - 22 November 1922, D/Y/A/82
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs