This farm in Rue Mathurin, Grouville, was owned in 1770, according to the Appairiement de Grouville, by Jean Payn, son of Jean.
Several datestones were erected at Springvale. IP ♥ MAM is on the front of the house, taken from Le Câtillon de Bas and is for Jean Payn and Marie Amy. Next to it is IP ♥ MVV 1778, and close by, IP ♥ MVV 1784, and IP ♥ MVV 1790. These are for Jean and Marie's son, also Jean Payn, and his wife Marie Vivian.
Joan Stevens noted in her second volume of Old Jersey Houses  that extensive repairs were undertaken on the house in 1973, in the course of which some stone fireplaces were found, 'of the simple undecorated style which were perhaps never meant to be uncovered'.
- "Some nice mid-18th century panelling in the west ground floor room was removed in order to expose the stonework. There was a dado rail all round the room, and the window surrounds, shutters and sashes were all contemporary, as we two other windows on the first floor.
- "The front door, with some bottle glass in the lights above it, has six panels and is exceptionally wide, measuring 49 in.
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH II, 195