From an official church booklet
St George's Church is the second anglican church in St Ouen. It was built in the north of the parish from 1876 to 1880 to a design by Hayward and Sons.
St George's Chapel, Vinchelez
The Foundation Stone of St George's was laid on 29 September 29 1876, by Sir William Norcott, Lieute-Governor of Jersey. It is known that a chapel dedicated to St George used to stand on the corner of the Vinchelez de Bas Manor, less than a mile from the present church.
The chapel of St George was mentioned in 1156 and the two manors, Vinchelez de Haut and Vinchelez de Bas, used to share St George's Chapel and were jointly responsible for its upkeep. This chapel was destroyed at the Reformation but it is still possible to see the steps over the wall, which were built to enable the Vinchelez de Haut household to attend chapel more easily.
The granite altar slab, with its five consecration crosses, after lying for many years in the Vinchelez de Bas manor grounds has now been restored to its former use, but this time in the Chapel dedicated to St Anne at St Ouen's Manor.
St George's Church was opened for public worship on 20 July 20 1880, by the Right Rev Edward Harold Browne, Bishop of Winchester. He granted his licence and authority on 8 September 1880, for the performance of divine service in St George's - for the convenience of the inhabitants residing at a distance from the Parish Church of St Ouen. This is still the primary reason for having another Church of England church within the Parish, the islands largest in area.
The St George's Mission Church that Bishop Brown opened in 1880 did not have the chancel, vestry or tower that we see today. These had been included in the plan of Canon Clement, but could not be built for lack of financial resources. They were added between May 1914 and May 1918 and were dedicated by Bishop Talbot of Winchester on 20 May 1918.
Reredos, pulpit and lectern
The Reredos before the chancel was added, on the east wall and above the Holy Table, comprised scriptural texts in French, including the Ten Commandments. There was no pulpit, the minister preaching from the lectern in the south east corner of the church. At that time the rear pews on the south side of the church were used as a vestry; the font was at the back of the church and choir stalls ran from east to west in front of the Communion Table. Accommodation for the congregation would have been much smaller than today.
The Pulpit was given "To the glory of God and in memory of my mother, Henrietta Le Cornu of Vinchelez De Haut Manor, who died on 31 March 1915, given by her loving Son, Charles".
The Lectern is inscribed "To the glory of God and in Loving Memory of John and Philip Clement - given by their children in 1925".
The East Window above the Holy Table has in the central section a portrayal of the Crucifixion of Christ; the left hand section points us to the incarnation of Jesus with a scene from Bethlehem and the right hand section to the Resurrection of Christ. It is inscribed Don De Dlle Sophie C Clement honoraire De Winchester et en memorie De Son Pere Le Pendant Trente. Ans 1860-1890 Rev G Clement MA Recteur De St Ouen, Place 1928
The Organ was installed in 1925 and replaced a harmonium which had given good service. The present instrument was supplied by James Ivimey of Southampton and dedicated by the Dean of Jersey on Wednesday 20 January 1926. Contributions were requested towards the cost of the new organ and among the receipts is one for £9 10s recu de Monsr J Le Feuvre pour le harmonium.
The Font was moved to its present position by the pulpit in 1978 during the construction of the open area at the rear of the church, and is in a more satisfactory position for the baptisms which take place during regular services.
The Open Area with the new cupboards along the west wall was completed in 1979 by Brian Le Comu. The refurbishing of the pews took place during 1978-79. Interior decoration was completed in 1978 and the new fitted carpet throughout the church has made it warm and welcoming to all who come.
Electric lighting to replace the suspended paraffin lamps in the nave, and the pillar lamps in the chancel, was installed in 1937.
The present Reredos was erected in 1928 and was provided by J H N Roberts, father of John Roberts, who at the same time arranged for coke-fired heating to be installed.
The interior of the roof is magnificent craftsmanship and a feature of special interest. The west window high up at the rear of the building has a small but beautiful portrayal of St George.
The windows in the centre of the south wall of the church 'To the glory of God and in Loving Memory of Percy Lionel Le Masurier (1890-1956) and Hilda Alexander Le Masurier, née Lee Boutillier (1889-1959) are fine illustrations of the two texts inscribed "Behold a sower went forth to sow" and "Gather the wheat into my Barn".
Other Memorials, on the south chancel wall to the Rev John Pepin who died at the age of 79 on 5 May 1936. Mr Pepin served the church and Parish of St Ouen for 44 years, from 1891 to 1935.
In the south wall there are also memorials to Francis Philip Hacquoil, Constable of St Ouen, who died at the age of 59 on 9 June 1919. To Elsie Mauger who died at the age of 74 on 23 January 1930. To Arthur Brooks Cox of Sydney, Australia, who died at Vinchelez de Bas Manor, aged 57 on 9 August, 1924. The Rev J S Norman succeeded the Rev John Pepin as Rector of St Ouen and was inducted and instituted on 17 July 1935. He was the first Rector to arrange a confirmation service at St George's on 1 May 1 1939 and he continued his ministry throughout the difficult days of the Occupation. When he became Rector of St Saviour in 1945 he was followed by the Rev E C Lempriere who moved on to St Martin in 1947.